July 30, 2011 Half Moon Bay Pelagic Report

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2011
      Howdy, Birders,

      The complete report of Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip on July 30,
      2011 departing from Half Moon Bay is available at:

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html

      Highlights included: a GREAT SHEARWATER (photos), spotted by leader,
      Jon Feenstra; four species of storm-petrels: WILSON'S, ASHY, LEACH'S
      and FORK-TAILED; SOUTH POLAR SKUA, SABINE'S GULLS, ARCTIC TERNS,
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER, XANTUS'S MURRELET, and more. Todd McGrath's
      images are included in the report.

      Also, included in the report, is a listing by species of the birds
      found in both SAN MATEO and SAN FRANCISCO COUNTIES. It was a real
      field day for County Birders. The Great Shearwater may represent a
      first record for San Mateo County. We need to check with Ron Thorn on
      that.

      Spaces are still available on most of our fall trips, except for the
      August 7 trip to the Farallon Islands and the September 10 Albacore
      trip from Monterey. Some of the August 19, 20, 21 and 22 trips
      departing from Fort Bragg have limited spaces available. Some of the
      September 16, 17, 18, 19 trips departing from Half Moon Bay have
      limited spaces available. Please indicate a first and second choice.
      All other trips on our schedule are open.

      The Monterey Bay Birding Festival pelagic trips September 22, 23, 24,
      25 and 26, all have spaces available.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      SVALBARD: High Arctic Seabirds & Polar Bears, Walrus: 28 June-8 July,
      2013