Cook's Petrel Trips & Update

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2011
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Late summer seabirding is fast approaching. This is the prime time to
      search for COOK'S PETRELS. And, Half Moon Bay is the prime location
      to encounter these gadfly petrels. Shearwater Journeys still has
      spaces available on the following trips, which will target Cook's
      Petrels, amongst all of the other seabirds:

      JULY 30: Leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Todd McGrath, Jon
      Feenstra, Tristan McKee, Wes Fritz & Debi Shearwater.
      JULY 31: Leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Todd McGrath, Jon
      Feenstra, Tristan McKee, Wes Fritz & Debi Shearwater.
      AUGUST 1: Leaders: Joe Morlan, Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra, Tristan
      McKee & Wes Fritz.

      Wes will be bringing his "magic goo" which the seabirds just love.
      All of our leaders are extremely knowledgeable, with worldwide
      experience. To read more about Cook's Petrels, please see the
      following reports:

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/07/cooks-petrels-
      in-2011.html

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2010/08/trip-report-
      july-31-2010-half-moon-bay.html

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2010/07/3000-cooks-petrels.html

      Not only did our July 31, 2010 Half Moon Bay trip find Cook's
      Petrels, but many other highlights included: LAYSAN and BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSS; PINK-FOOTED and nearly 10,000 SOOTY SHEARWATERS; NORTHERN
      FULMAR; ASHY STORM-PETREL; SOUTH POLAR SKUA; POMARINE and 45 LONG-
      TAILED JAEGERS; SABINE'S GULL; ARCTIC TERN; COMMON MURRE; PIGEON
      GUILLEMOT; MARBLED MURRELET; CASSIN'S and RHINOCEROS AUKLETS and
      TUFTED PUFFIN. The marine mammal show was not too shabby, either, as
      we found BLUE and HUMPBACK WHALES; PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED and NORTHERN
      RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS and HARBOR PORPOISE.

      All Half Moon Bay departures meet at 7 am, sharp at Huck Finn
      Sportfishing, 15 Johnson Pier at Pillar Point Harbor for boarding the
      New Captain Pete. Parking is free. Return time is variable, between
      3:30 to 6:30 pm. Bring lunch, dress warmly, and take seasick
      prevention measures. To make an advance reservation, please email
      Debi at the address in her signature.

      Limited spaces are still available on Shearwater Journeys' Fort Bragg
      departures:

      AUGUST 19: Leaders: Abe Borker, Wes Fritz, Todd McGrath & Debi
      Shearwater
      AUGUST 20: Leaders: Abe Borker, Wes Fritz, Todd McGrath, Debi Shearwater
      AUGUST 21: Leaders: Abe Borker, Wes Fritz, Todd McGrath, Lisa Hug &
      Debi Shearwater
      AUGUST 22: Leaders: Abe Borker, Wes Fritz, Lisa Hug, Denise Wight &
      Debi Shearwater

      All trips meet at 6:30 am, Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg for boarding the
      Telstar. Parking is free. Return time is variable, 3 pm to 7 pm.
      Advance reservations are necessary. Please email Debi.

      Spaces are available on the Wednesday, AUGUST 17th trip departing
      from Bodega Bay. Lisa Hug, Wes Fritz and Debi Shearwater will be
      leading. All trips meet at 6:30 am in Port O'Bodega for boarding the
      New Sea Angler. Parking is free. Please email Debi for reservations.

      All of our Monterey Bay departures have spaces available. They are:

      AUGUST 5: Leaders: Jennifer Green, Clay Kempf, Adam Searcy, Rick
      Fournier & Debi Shearwater
      AUGUST 12: Leaders: Jennifer Green, Derek Lovitch & Debi Shearwater
      AUGUST 26: Leaders: Jennifer Green, Clay Kempf & Debi Shearwater

      All Monterey trips meet at Chris's Fishing Shop on Fisherman's Wharf
      at 7 am for boarding the Checkmate. The boat returns at 3 pm.

      Presently, our ever successful trip to the Farallon Islands, August
      7th is SOLD OUT. Also, our extremely popular Albacore Grounds trip
      from Monterey on September 10th is SOLD OUT. These two trips sell out
      early every year. We are currently taking bookings for the 2012
      Farallon Islands trip. Spaces are available on all other trips on the
      Shearwater Journeys' schedule. Please see below for the complete
      schedule:

      tp://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.shtml

      There is a good chance that one of these August trips will turn up a
      Short-tailed Albatross! Maybe it will be the trip that you join!

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      SVALBARD: High Arctic Seabirds & Polar Bears, Walrus: 28 June-8 July,
      2013