Sand plover still NO: Getting the Word Out

  • Joel Weintraub
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      During the week or so that the Sand-Plover was in Orange County, not a
      **single** call-in was received by the Orange County RBA phone line, or sent
      by email to the RBA address, for this species. That includes the day it was
      found. In fact, not one of the birders who saw it the first day alerted the
      Calbirds group, until I picked up the 2nd message on the local birding Yahoo
      group and then spread the news. Somehow the first message never arrived at
      my mailbox. In addition, I could have been out of town or in the field that
      day.

      In fact I'm thinking of folding the Orange County phone message machine, and
      just maintain the Yahoo Groups RBA board. The phone RBA was set up just for
      a situation like the Sand-Plover, and in retrospect, it failed miserably.
      With many birders having smart phones and able to receive internet messages
      about rarities in the field, the cost of maintaining a phone RBA (to Sea and
      Sage Audubon) and the human cost of such maintenance is hard to justify,
      considering the recent situation. I have better things to do with my time.

      I'm on the other side of Orange county, and rely on other birders to keep
      me and others informed. Evidently, birders think it's the "other guys"
      responsibility to keep the birding community informed, not themselves.

      Sorry Gary you had to drive down from San Francisco.....

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA
      Orange County RBA compiler