Modoc Purple Martins

  • Stephen Shunk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2011
      All,
      While conducting point count surveys this morning on the High fire (sw
      Modoc Co, Modoc Nat'l Forest), I found a family of PURPLE MARTINS with three
      fledglings. I honestly don't know how rare this is, but it is the most
      unexpected bird we have found all summer in burns throughout the n. Sierra,
      s Cascades, and s. Warners. I also had our first CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD of the
      season (first we have detected at point counts in 23 burns surveyed).

      --
      Stephen Shunk
      Paradise Birding

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2011
        Steve,

        Purple Martins are regular but local breeders in Modoc County, primarily in old burns.

        John Sterling

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836