Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: [Mtn-birds] Shaffer Mt. Sage Grouse lek

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      Regarding the issue of lek disturbance:

      Many years ago we used to lead regular trips to Honey Lake for several different Audubon Societies for the wonnderful
      birding available there and, of course, like everyone else, we went to the Sage Grouse Lek.

      After the first year of driving and parking near the lek and then being unable to control the noise and disturbance of
      the birds (from our group's natural exuberance,) we decided the next year to walk from the main road to the lek area.
      Well, we felt that notably disturbed the birds alot too. We also thought we noticed the number of birds in the lek
      decreasing each year.

      For the remaining years that we lead trips we decided not to visit the lek because of the disturbance it caused.

      Not that there is anything special about us - But we tell this tale because we believe that it is all but impossible to
      visit a lek without disturbing the birds.

      Therefore every care should be taken to eliminate our unintentional interference of breeding birds - yet we should keep
      searching for ways to observe birds while minimizing our impact.

      Bob & Carol Yutzy