Re: [Mtn-birds] Shaffer Mt. Sage Grouse lek

  • Richard Mix
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 4:16 PM
      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: Richard Carlson <rccarl@...>
      Why don't you close off the road where you turn up hill to the lek? No one
      would be bothered by that few hundred yards walk.

      Surely it was the pedestrians who were the problem. If I understand
      correctly, watching from the road using vehicles as a blind is far less
      intrusive.
      btw, I still havnt seen the directions to Shaffer Mt. Isnt this of
      sufficient general interest to warrant posting to Calbirds?
      Richard Mix

    • Bruce Webb
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 4:40 PM
        Posting directions to this lek will probably spell its demise.

        There has been just too much pressure already this year.

        Bruce Webb
        Granite Bay, California
        BruWebb@...

        > Why don't you close off the road where you turn up hill to the lek? No
        one
        > would be bothered by that few hundred yards walk.
        >
        > Surely it was the pedestrians who were the problem. If I understand
        > correctly, watching from the road using vehicles as a blind is far less
        > intrusive.
        > btw, I still havnt seen the directions to Shaffer Mt. Isnt this of
        > sufficient general interest to warrant posting to Calbirds?
        > Richard Mix

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

      • Bob & Carol Yutzy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 10:31 PM
          Regarding the issue of lek disturbance:

          Many years ago we used to lead regular trips to Honey Lake for several different Audubon Societies for the wonnderful
          birding available there and, of course, like everyone else, we went to the Sage Grouse Lek.

          After the first year of driving and parking near the lek and then being unable to control the noise and disturbance of
          the birds (from our group's natural exuberance,) we decided the next year to walk from the main road to the lek area.
          Well, we felt that notably disturbed the birds alot too. We also thought we noticed the number of birds in the lek
          decreasing each year.

          For the remaining years that we lead trips we decided not to visit the lek because of the disturbance it caused.

          Not that there is anything special about us - But we tell this tale because we believe that it is all but impossible to
          visit a lek without disturbing the birds.

          Therefore every care should be taken to eliminate our unintentional interference of breeding birds - yet we should keep
          searching for ways to observe birds while minimizing our impact.

          Bob & Carol Yutzy