Lesser Sand-Plover: Bolsa Chica, Orange County

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2011
      Somehow, an earlier post to OrangeCountyBirding did not arrive at my mailbox, and no post or call-in was made to the OrCoRBA...... so:

      Birders,

      The adult Lesser Sand-Plover appeared "happy" foraging in the main pond seen from the field below the playground area of Harriett Wieder Regional Park this morning from about 0630 to 0830. It was active and would vanish behind vegetation now and then, but would usually reappear in 5 or 10 minutes. As Dick Cabe mention in his earlier post, a Peregrine Falcon scattered the shorebirds at about 0830. Some were able to follow the Lesser Sand-Plover as it flew off and, apparently, dropped into the Big (tidal) Basin. I've placed two cropped digi-scoped photos of this bird into the shorebirds folder.

      At about 1000 or so, the Lesser Sand-Plover was refound on the flats directly west of the "point" overlook of the Big Basin (reached by crossing the boardwalk and turning left on the dike trail and right again at end of the fence to and area with benches for viewing - its shaped like a point...). Some birders arrived in time to see it here, but others weren't so lucky and the bird moved into the next pond and disappeared. Birders spread out and searched for the next hour or so but no one was able to relocate the plover. By the time I left at about noon, there was no further word on the Lesser Sand-Plover.

      High tide was at about 0645 this morning (a low high tide) with a higher high tide late this afternoon. High tide tomorrow morning will be at about 0730. Sometimes high tides "push" shorebirds to the ponds off of Harriett.

      Good luck,

      Brian Daniels