Band-tailed Pigeon Research - call for information/partcipants

  • kr2bird
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2011
      I am leading a Dept. of Fish and Game research project designed to assess disease prevalence and population health of band-tailed pigeons in California. I am currently looking for locations where large numbers of band-tailed pigeons reliably congregate, such as mineral sites, backyards, or other areas. Once pigeons are trapped, we will collect an oral and cloacal swab, take body measurements, and apply a leg band. The pigeons are then released in the area they were trapped.

      The objective of this research is to determine the impact the disease Trichomoniasis has on band-tailed pigeon population heath. Trichomoniasis is a disease caused by the protozoan Trichomonas gallinae, which causes severe lesions in the mouth and esophagus, eventually leading to death through suffocation or starvation. Trichomoniasis causes periodic die-offs of band-tailed pigeons in which hundreds to thousands of pigeons may die. In addition, small numbers of pigeons may die throughout the year due to Trichomoniasis.

      If you know of any locations that might be good for live-trapping pigeons, or if you would like to report sick or dead band-tailed pigeons, please contact me via e-mail at krogers(AT)dfg.ca.gov or by phone at 916-358-1662.

      Thank you for your help!

      Krysta Rogers
      Associate Wildlife Biologist
      Wildlife Investigations Laboratory