Seabirding Opportunities

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2011
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      The rains have ended. Summer has arrived, finally. And, it's time to
      think about seabirding! Shearwater Journeys' has a full line up of
      pelagic trips on offer. This is our 36th year of Monterey seabirding
      trips! We offer more trips, departing from more ports than anyone.
      Most of our world class leaders have experience with seabirds and
      cetaceans, around the world. We engage the highest rated chummer, Wes
      Fritz, on most of our trips. I hope you will join me on one, or
      several trips this coming season.

      Our Monterey Bay "classic trips remain a long-time staple in the
      seabirding world. Heralded in many books over the past three decades,
      you just can't go wrong on a Monterey pelagic trip. Departures from
      Monterey include: August 5, 12, 26; September 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 22,
      23, 24, 25, 26; October 1, 8, 16; November 27.

      The 7th annual Monterey Bay Birding Festival will be headquartered in
      Watsonville, September 22 - 26. As in past years, Shearwater Journeys
      is the exclusive provider of pelagic trips for the festival. Pelagic
      trips are offered on September 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. Please register
      for these trips directly with Shearwater Journeys. Registration for
      the festival can be found at: http://www.montereybaybirding.org/

      This year, Debi Shearwater will be speak on Friday, September 23,
      "The Big Year: How Did We Get Here?" Speaking of "The Big Year," � a
      20th Century Fox movie inspired by the book of the same name will be
      released on October 14, 2011! This comedy stars Steve Martin, Jack
      Black and Owen Wilson. Angelica Huston will play the part of Debi
      Shearwater. If you own the book and would like to have it autographed
      by Debi, just bring it along on your pelagic trip. Don't miss the
      movie! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/

      Spaces are still available on the Shearwater Journeys' August 7th
      pelagic trip departing from Emeryville in the East Bay to the
      Farallon Islands. This popular trip, which has a 100% success rate in
      finding TUFTED PUFFINS, always sells out in advance. Jump on board,
      and enjoy the thrill of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge to these
      magical islands which harbor the largest seabird colony on the west
      coast, south of Alaska.

      This season, we have on offer three trips departing from Bodega Bay:
      August 17;
      September 14;
      October 14.

      Any one of these dates could turn up a SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS or
      LAYSAN ALBATROSS, or something rarer. The list of rare seabirds
      sighted on these trips is particularly long, and includes: SHY
      SHEARWATER, to name a few. This is one of the best trips for finding

      Last year, our trips departing from Half Moon Bay were nothing short
      of sensational. The July 30, 31 and August 1 trips are the absolute
      best chance for finding COOK'S PETRELS! For more information on
      Cook's Petrels, please see Shearwaters' Journeys' Blog. A report for
      July 31, 2010 departing from Half Moon Bay, shows a success filled
      trip for birds and mammals. Cook's Petrels are recovering their
      numbers due to the removal of mammalian predators on their breeding
      islands, New Zealand. This is a great opportunity to spot this gadfly
      Departures from Half Moon Bay are scheduled for:
      July 30, 31;
      August 1;
      September 16, 17, 18, 19;
      October 2, 10, 15;
      November 22.

      Finally, our Fort Bragg trips offer the absolute best chance of
      finding the threatened HAWAIIAN PETREL. There is nowhere in North
      America where more records of this species can be found.
      Departures from Fort Bragg are scheduled for:
      August 19, 20, 21, 22.

      Not every trip sees Hawaiian Petrel, so it is best to sign up for as
      many trips as possible. In addition, once you arrive in Fort Bragg,
      it is best to put in the days to do as many trips as possible. Land
      birding in the area is outstanding, especially for Sooty Grouse,
      Northern Pygmy Owl and Mountain Quail� highly sought after species.
      Fort Bragg trips have also turned up other rarities, including WHITE-

      For a complete listing of trips, please see:
      For a calendar style listing, please see:

      To keep up to date, and see past trip reports, please visit our blog
      often at:

      RESERVATIONS: To register for any trip, please send full payment by
      check or money order to: Shearwater Journeys, POB 190, Hollister, CA
      95024, and include the following: date of trip(s), the name, address,
      phone, cell phone and email of each person in your party. Please
      register at least two weeks prior to the departure date of the trip.
      If you do, you will receive a return confirmation letter by mail.

      Happy Trails & hope to see you out there!
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024

      SVALBARD: High Arctic Seabirds & Polar Bears, Walrus: 8-18 July 2012