Neotropic Cormorant and Sooty Tern in So Cal on 6/11

  • dwbirdster@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2011
      Hi Birders-

      I made a very quick trip through So Cal over the weekend with much driving and not enough birding. At Ramer Lake in Imperial County on Sat 6/11 at 8am one NEOTROPIC CORMORANT was on the nest, north side of the dividing road, third island from the east, highest nest almost in the middle of the island. Later in the morning in Jacumba, San Diego County, an hour of searching did not turn up any Harris's Hawks. I was unaware of the Vermilion Flycatcher. Shortly after that I drove up Kitchen Creek Rd and walked a mile past the gate hoping for Gray Vireos. Didn't see any but heard gray vireo-type songs. Interesting birds, to a N Californian, were many Black-chinned Sparrows, a Costa's Hummer, and a Phainopepla. I left the county and got to Bolsa Chica Preserve in Orange County in late afternoon. Thousands of Elegant and other terns were on the island with the old blind south of the parking lot for the boardwalk. When they all suddenly flew I was able to see the SOOTY TERN sitting in front of the blind. I first observed it from along the highway. Later from the parking lot and boardwalk it was easily seen through a scope.

      Dave Weber,
      Milpitas