WFO in August in Sierra Vista AZ: conference filling up; papers still being accepted

  • Dave Quady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2011
      Birders:

      The 36th annual conference of WESTERN FIELD ORNITHOLOGISTS (WFO) will be held in Sierra Vista, Arizona, August 17-21, 2011. The conference and its field trips are filling up fast; register now and choose your field trips and workshops.

      Go to <http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/> and click on the "Annual Conference" banner in the middle of the page. Check out the "Conference Details" document, and then register.

      Also, WFO will accept abstracts until July 1 for papers to be presented at the conference. To present, you do not need to be a professional ornithologist, or a graduate student, or even . . . . All that's needed is a desire to share your original research, or to summarize existing unpublished information, in a manner that will interest serious amateur birders and professional field ornithologists alike. Your paper should apply to birds of the WFO area: western North America (from Alaska through Mexico, and the Great Plains to the Pacific coast) and the eastern Pacific Ocean. Themes could include status, distribution, migration and population dynamics; systematics and biogeography; ecology, behavior, and evolution; descriptive field identification; and techniques for field study. Talks are brief -- 15 minutes, and that includes time for questions: audience participation is a hallmark of WFO's science presentations. For details on submitting an abstract, go to <http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/conference.php> and click on the "2011 Conference Call for Papers" link.

      With my apologies for cross-posting, I hope I'll see you in Sierra Vista!

      Dave Quady
      WFO Board Member
      Berkeley, California
      davequady@...