Central Valley and the Sierra

  • debbieviess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2011
      On our way up and back to the Sierra over the past couple of days, we spotted at least ten white faced ibis along Hwy 80 in the very wet and green Yolo Bypass. There could've been even more of these birds; once they landed, they disappeared into the tall vegetation.

      Do they actually breed here, or are they just in a waiting pattern for the Sierra to warm up?

      On the way back through the same area, I spotted more than fifty white pelicans at the northern edge of the Yolo Bypass.

      While searching in vain (mostly) for mushrooms in the Sierra off Hwy 50 at about 5,500', I did sit still long enough for the birds to pop out of hiding...Western Tanager, White-headed woodpecker, Townsends Solitaire, Winter Wren, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, and an Empidonax Flycatcher.

      At least the birds came through for me.

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2011
        White-faced Ibis have made a real resurgence in the Central Valley in the past 10 or so years. They need breed in large numbers in the Sac Valley, sometimes in the Yolo Bypass. It's easy to see hundreds or even thousands in summer, and many are still present in winter now.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        >>> debbieviess <amanitarita@...> 6/4/2011 9:45 AM >>>
        On our way up and back to the Sierra over the past couple of days, we spotted at least ten white faced ibis along Hwy 80 in the very wet and green Yolo Bypass. There could've been even more of these birds; once they landed, they disappeared into the tall vegetation.

        Do they actually breed here, or are they just in a waiting pattern for the Sierra to warm up?

        On the way back through the same area, I spotted more than fifty white pelicans at the northern edge of the Yolo Bypass.

        While searching in vain (mostly) for mushrooms in the Sierra off Hwy 50 at about 5,500', I did sit still long enough for the birds to pop out of hiding...Western Tanager, White-headed woodpecker, Townsends Solitaire, Winter Wren, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, and an Empidonax Flycatcher.

        At least the birds came through for me.

        Debbie Viess
        Oakland, CA

        Yahoo! Groups Links