Galileo

  • kernkel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2011
      There is already a sign at the entrance that states "Members & Visitors are required to register at the Club House". I photographed it today and thought it was unambiguous.
      The rules for Galileo have been posted to Calbirds as well as many other listserves. Management has asked that fieldtrip/large groups not come on weekends. It's unambiguous. It doesn't mean ask permission for my special group and it certainly doesn't mean just show up unannounced. These are very nice people and, at least before last weekend, would most likely say yes. But, it is clear that they feel a bit pushed and their loyalty is first and foremost to their members. I know it is inconvenient for working folks who don't have options other than the weekend, but your behavior puts at risk the park being closed to birders. A bird photographer slept on the grounds (in his car) a couple of weeks ago. Security guy said it was OK. Management does not think this is OK. How hard would it have been to drive less than half a mile off the property and find a place to sleep? We all need to respect the wishes and not push even an inch in what they are asking. Birder numbers will likely drop now that migration is slowing and hopefully the message come fall will be a refresher course on the rules and not an announcement that the park is closed to birders.

      Kelli Heindel-Levinson
      Bakersfield, Ca