Re: Galileo This Weekend, Galileo Access, Rule Breaking (AGAIN!)

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Bob Barnes <bbarnes@...> wrote:

      > HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!! The rules were broken in several ways and Silver
      > Saddle staff made me aware of these breaking of the rules. More nails in the coffin toward the final death of birding at Galileo.

      Bob,

      We have a similar problem here in San Diego County with Cabrillo National Monument, and somewhat with Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.
      Rules for birding are established by one group, and the rest of the world has no clue what was agreed to. With over 1500 SDBirds members (more members than actual number of birders in the County). People are still unaware of the agreements and rules that were made for those locations.

      Calbirds has almost 2300 members, KernCoBird has just over 370 members, and with the messages going out world-wide via other outlets, this doesn't mean all bird-watchers, birders,& tour groups are paying attention to these messages and these rules that were sent out via these groups.

      While I'm truly appreciative that Silver Saddles does still allow for birders to go out there, maybe a suggestion of, them putting up a sign at the entrance, telling birders what their rules are. Maybe the Kern County Audubon (if there is one) can even pay for the signage. This way, no one can say, that they did not know the rules.

      Just a suggestion,

      Doug Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...
    • Chuck & Lillian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
        Doug,
        That's a great idea. I hope someone follows up on it.
        Santa Monica Bay Audubon put up a sign years ago at entrance to Butterbredt Spring.
        It doesn't say a whole lot, though, other than giving the name of the Spring.
        People shoot at it, so it's been replaced at least once.
        Chuck Almdale
        North Hills, Ca.