Re: Galileo This Weekend, Galileo Access, Rule Breaking (AGAIN!)

  • Bob Barnes
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2011
      Tom, et. al.:

      At 11:35 PM 5/30/2011, Tom Miko wrote:
      >Were there no migrants at Galileo/California City this 3 day
      >weekend, or no birders?

      There were birders at Galileo this weekend. Nothing out of the
      ordinary except for a report of two VARIED THRUSHES. No true vagrants.

      HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!! The rules were broken in several ways and Silver
      Saddle staff made me aware of these breaking of the rules. More nails
      in the coffin toward the final death of birding at Galileo.

      Here they are...

      Only 8 birders out of a total of 30+ signed-in Monday as required
      during any visit!

      No large groups are allowed at Galileo/Silver Saddle on weekends.
      Yesterday, Monday, a holiday, was part of a long, three-day weekend.
      Yet, according to Silver Saddle staff, a large group of 10-20 birders
      was walking the grounds on the Monday holiday yesterday (against the
      rules). According to staff, as far as they know, NONE of those
      birders signed-in!

      Many of the birder signatures on Monday's release forms were
      illegible. So, even if one of those birders were to have broken even
      more rules, they could not be tracked down and dealt with
      individually, all but surely impacting all birders negatively.

      If anyone out there knows more about these 10-20 birders in a large
      group and is willing to shed light on why they were on the Silver
      Saddle grounds without permission and why they did not sign in,
      PLEASE let me know off-list.

      It seems like it is just a matter of time before rule breaking due to
      lack of awareness or conscious acts on the part of any of us leads to
      Galileo being closed to all birders and birding. Silver Saddle staff
      shared that seems like it could be the case.

      And, ultimately, except for taking responsibility for my own actions,
      there is not a thing I can do about it except share words such as
      those written above and below.

      What is it about some of us birders out there?!!!? If even just one
      of us birders goes to Galileo/Silver Saddle without a high level of
      awareness, without thinking of Silver Saddle wishes first, without
      working actively to NOT stretch or bend the rules in any way, without
      interfering with members and staff in any way; then the future will
      be very bleak for ALL OF US.

      Frustrating and unbelievably angering (and I usually do not anger easily!),

      Bob

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern Co., CA
      760-382-1260

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Bob Barnes <bbarnes@...> wrote:

        > HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!! The rules were broken in several ways and Silver
        > Saddle staff made me aware of these breaking of the rules. More nails in the coffin toward the final death of birding at Galileo.

        Bob,

        We have a similar problem here in San Diego County with Cabrillo National Monument, and somewhat with Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.
        Rules for birding are established by one group, and the rest of the world has no clue what was agreed to. With over 1500 SDBirds members (more members than actual number of birders in the County). People are still unaware of the agreements and rules that were made for those locations.

        Calbirds has almost 2300 members, KernCoBird has just over 370 members, and with the messages going out world-wide via other outlets, this doesn't mean all bird-watchers, birders,& tour groups are paying attention to these messages and these rules that were sent out via these groups.

        While I'm truly appreciative that Silver Saddles does still allow for birders to go out there, maybe a suggestion of, them putting up a sign at the entrance, telling birders what their rules are. Maybe the Kern County Audubon (if there is one) can even pay for the signage. This way, no one can say, that they did not know the rules.

        Just a suggestion,

        Doug Aguillard
        San Diego, CA
        doug@...
      • Chuck & Lillian
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
          Doug,
          That's a great idea. I hope someone follows up on it.
          Santa Monica Bay Audubon put up a sign years ago at entrance to Butterbredt Spring.
          It doesn't say a whole lot, though, other than giving the name of the Spring.
          People shoot at it, so it's been replaced at least once.
          Chuck Almdale
          North Hills, Ca.