Black throated Magpie Jay

  • Loretta Selinger
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2011
      Dear birders,

      I was birding with my husband and a friend from San Diego along the Mexican border at on Saturday May 28. We were at below the bridge on Hollister Street south of Sunset East and 500 yards south of corner. We clearly observed a male Black throated Magpie Jay flying overhead. Although I don't have a picture of the female to compare it to, the second bird was with was slightly smaller (shorter tail) and duller. I tried to enter the sighting into Ebird but was unable to do so. Is this bird seen there regularly? Are they escapees? I know that in Los Angeles there is a male seen in Burbank regularly. We were less than 100 yards from Mexico.

      Thanks in advance for the help.
      Loretta Hersh Selinger
      West Los Angeles

    • Eric Kallen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2011
        Howdy: the black-throated magpie jays
        are well known locally. There is one family of about 7 seen often. Eric Kallen San Diego

        Ps. Yesterday there were two or three northern cardinals in the same area.
        All escapees from Tijuana.

        Sent from my iPhone