Greater Sage-Grouse, Falcated Duck, Franklin's Gull

  • Dennis Braddy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Calbirders,

      Arriving at Shaffer Lek in Lassen County this morning, 4/1/02, at about 4:30
      A.M. we could hear immediately that the Greater Sage-Grouse were already
      active. Although a procession of dark, ghostly figures could be seen from
      the road by moonlight, the viewing of field marks had to await first light.
      Nine males and at least one female were present.

      By sunrise we were viewing the Falcated Duck at its oft reported location
      west of the HQ for the Fleming Unit of Honey Lake Wildlife Area. He was
      quite active yet remained in view the whole time we were there.

      We continued west on Game and Fish Rd. stopping to view a pond full of gulls
      on the north side of the road perhaps 0.2 miles east of Mapes Rd. There was
      a lone Franklin's Gull among dozens of Ring-billed Gulls. It was an adult in
      fresh breeding plumage with a red bill and broad white eye-arcs.

      Dennis and Patricia Braddy
      San Ramon