Upcoming Saturday San Diego Buena Vista Audubon Pelagic

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2011
      Greetings Pelagic Birders,

      It looks like 45 of us will enjoy perfect weather on our Saturday Buena Vista Audubon Society spring migration pelagic aboard Grande.

      Here is the forecast: Wind W 10 to 15 kt. Gusts to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 2 to 3 ft and S 2 ft.

      This is a special reminder to you to set your alarms early because this 13-hour trip gets going extra early to afford us adequate time to explore the Nine Mile Bank then get to and chum at the Thirty Mile Bank in search of San Diego County albatrosses, storm-petrels and who-knows-what else? You want to be at Point Loma Sportfishing no later than 5:10 a.m. We begin boarding at 5:20 and the security gates are closed and locked at 5:40.

      All the details are here – and it's not too late to register:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/sandiegomay142011.html

      For those of you who would like to try a live-aboard pelagic, we expect close encounters with several species of whales and all manner of seabirds on the luxury live-aboard SEARCHER on its annual MEMORIAL DAY WHALES & SEABIRDS WEEKEND. Last year we saw 6 RED-BILLED TROPICBIRDS, 4 LAYSAN ALBIES, 14 Fin Whales, 20 Northern Right Whale Dolphin and two Blue Whales spouting right off bow!
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/sandiegomay28302011.html

      Here is last year's video giving a feel for what it's like to be surrounded by whales and seabirds while on SEARCHER:
      http://youtu.be/hu2DPpoukuk

      Come on out with us to see what's out there….

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society