Re: [CALBIRDS] Help with rare bird ID ?

  • Jean Terry
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2011
      WOW Thanks Everyone for all the replies ") !

      YES, I'm now thinking it has to be the Night Heron!
      Everything fits really really well but the color. I'm guessing maybe they're
      two year old's with in between coloring as they don't fit the adult or the
      juvenile pictures? These definitely have some reddish coloring that is not
      in any of the online pics.
      I had also just plain overlooked 'Herons' generally because these guys are
      so stout and not long and leanish like all other Herons i recognise.
      That, and I didn't see the long Heron type legs while in flight or when they
      landed on the tree.
      The Night Heron's body is exactly like the birds here but what really
      clinched it for me was the recording of it's call.
      Funny I've never seen one of these birds before but they are 'night' birds
      so that's likely why.
      Thank You Thank You Guys again for all your inputs,
      Jean Terry
      Browns Valley