Re: [CALBIRDS] Help with rare bird ID ?

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2011
      The possibility of immature night-heron occurred to me also.

      Ken
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2011
        We're going for these birds to be 1st summer Green Herons:
        x Size: medium to large hawk size
        x Location: near watery place on the edge of northern Central Valley
        of CA.
        x Perching: in trees
        x Flight wing beat: fairly quick movements
        x Beak shape & size: large (relative to body) and completely straight
        x Sleek head: feathers lay close on head
        x Posture: upright
        x Coloring: dark brown/graphite wings/shoulders; ruddy breasts
        (possible barring denoting juvie)
        x Kingfisher type silhouette (with neck not extended)
        x Posture upright
        ? Leg length & color (not noted by observer)

        One of our favorite birds to watch.
        Delores & William Jenisch
        Chandler, AZ

        > Hello,
        > I just joined this group because I have a pair of what I believe may be
        > rare (at least for here) birds that have just arrived here and I can't
        > figure out what they are. Hoping someone on this list may be able to
        help.
        > I am in the Yuba County foothills near the Yuba River. The two birds flew
        > around here for a while and then perched in a tall dead oak. They are the
        > size of medium to large hawks but they have beaks similar to a ravens-
        > quite large and completely straight and with a sleek head. They have dark
        > brown or graphite colored wings and ruddy breasts with maybe some
        barring.
        > Sitting in the tree with there backs to me they would often turn their
        > heads to the side resembling a Kingfisher outline but much larger.
        When in
        > flight they were fairly quick in their movements. While sitting they were
        > upright in their posture resembling a hawk.
        > Anyone have any idea what they are or how I might find out? I looked at
        > every picture I can find online and I still don't even know what family
        > they're in.
        > Thanks,
        > Jean Terry,
        > Browns Valley
        > Re: [CALBIRDS] Help with rare bird ID ?
      • Jean Terry
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2011
          WOW Thanks Everyone for all the replies ") !

          YES, I'm now thinking it has to be the Night Heron!
          Everything fits really really well but the color. I'm guessing maybe they're
          two year old's with in between coloring as they don't fit the adult or the
          juvenile pictures? These definitely have some reddish coloring that is not
          in any of the online pics.
          I had also just plain overlooked 'Herons' generally because these guys are
          so stout and not long and leanish like all other Herons i recognise.
          That, and I didn't see the long Heron type legs while in flight or when they
          landed on the tree.
          The Night Heron's body is exactly like the birds here but what really
          clinched it for me was the recording of it's call.
          Funny I've never seen one of these birds before but they are 'night' birds
          so that's likely why.
          Thank You Thank You Guys again for all your inputs,
          Jean Terry
          Browns Valley