Common Crane - eye and crown color

  • Guy McCaskie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2011
      Because the Del Norte Common Crane has pale eyes Gary A. Bloomfield
      (nwcalbird 07 May 2011) alerted readers to an article proposing Common
      Cranes in the Javakheti region in Georga and in the Kars district in Turkey
      be considered a new subspecies Grus grus archibaldi. These cranes evidently
      lacks a red patch on the back of the head, have black skin papillae that
      stretches from the base of the bill to the top of the head, and have a
      different eye color which is bright yellow. However, Bloomfield also
      illustrates the fact that at least some Common Cranes else ware in Asia have
      pale eyes, linking to a photo taken in India of a Common Crane with pale
      eyes.

      Photos of Common Cranes at Lake Hornborga in Sweden by Sture Traneving and
      Francisco Marquez on pages 69 and 72 in Volume 3 of the Handbook of the
      Birds of the World (Josep del Hoyo et. al) show adult Common Cranes with
      white eyes. Within the species account for Common Crane in The Handbook of
      the Birds of Europe the Middle East and North Africa (BWP) - Volume 2, pages
      618-626 (Stanley Cramp), it is stated that coloration of the eyes on adults
      are bright red, chestnut, hazel, or pale yellow, apparently irrespective of
      age, sex, or season. As such I conclude eye color is variable. Also Plate
      72 in the same volume of BWP illustrate a "1st imm spring" Common Crane
      without red on the crown, so I conclude that first-summer Common Cranes may
      lack red on the crown. I therefore believe the Common Crane at Lake Earl DN
      is a first-summer bird with pale eyes.

      Guy McCaskie

      Secretary CBRC

      guymcc@...