Re: [CALBIRDS] Help with rare bird ID ?

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9 2:26 PM
      Jean,

      Even a poor photo would be a great help.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9 2:54 PM
        What about juvenile Northern Shrikes? Or even a Northern Flicker (straight beak) or a  Long-billed Thrasher.........I know their beaks aren't at all like a Ravens, nor is the size nearly at all indicative of a raptor, but sizes of birds according to surroundings can be difficult to assess unless there is something of relatively known size nearby (telephone pole, etc). Their posture is very raptor-like.....and the barring and coloring suggested juvenile shrike or juvenile flicker,  to me....but if a raptor, well, could have been anything - except for the beaks....straight beaks and the size of the birds seem to suggest something else entirely, and I'm with Ken; any photo, even a bad one, would be helpful :) Even a raven's beak is more 'roman-nosed' and has a down-curved point.....

        .....and a question: was the river wide, deep and calm in the location or was it rapid and narrow? Juvenile Black-crowned Night Herons often perch in trees.....hmmmmmm

        Message 3 of 7 , May 9 4:11 PM
          Jean,
          Ditto on the picture, but lacking that...
          How about an immature or 1-year-old Black-crowned Night-Heron?
          Chuck Almdale
          North Hills, Ca.

        • Ken Burton
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9 4:57 PM
            The possibility of immature night-heron occurred to me also.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 7 , May 9 5:14 PM
              We're going for these birds to be 1st summer Green Herons:
              x Size: medium to large hawk size
              x Location: near watery place on the edge of northern Central Valley
              of CA.
              x Perching: in trees
              x Flight wing beat: fairly quick movements
              x Beak shape & size: large (relative to body) and completely straight
              x Sleek head: feathers lay close on head
              x Posture: upright
              x Coloring: dark brown/graphite wings/shoulders; ruddy breasts
              (possible barring denoting juvie)
              x Kingfisher type silhouette (with neck not extended)
              x Posture upright
              ? Leg length & color (not noted by observer)

              One of our favorite birds to watch.
              Delores & William Jenisch
              Chandler, AZ

              > Hello,
              > I just joined this group because I have a pair of what I believe may be
              > rare (at least for here) birds that have just arrived here and I can't
              > figure out what they are. Hoping someone on this list may be able to
              help.
              > I am in the Yuba County foothills near the Yuba River. The two birds flew
              > around here for a while and then perched in a tall dead oak. They are the
              > size of medium to large hawks but they have beaks similar to a ravens-
              > quite large and completely straight and with a sleek head. They have dark
              > brown or graphite colored wings and ruddy breasts with maybe some
              barring.
              > Sitting in the tree with there backs to me they would often turn their
              > heads to the side resembling a Kingfisher outline but much larger.
              When in
              > flight they were fairly quick in their movements. While sitting they were
              > upright in their posture resembling a hawk.
              > Anyone have any idea what they are or how I might find out? I looked at
              > every picture I can find online and I still don't even know what family
              > they're in.
              > Thanks,
              > Jean Terry,
              > Browns Valley
              > Re: [CALBIRDS] Help with rare bird ID ?
            • Jean Terry
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9 5:29 PM
                WOW Thanks Everyone for all the replies ") !

                YES, I'm now thinking it has to be the Night Heron!
                Everything fits really really well but the color. I'm guessing maybe they're
                two year old's with in between coloring as they don't fit the adult or the
                juvenile pictures? These definitely have some reddish coloring that is not
                in any of the online pics.
                I had also just plain overlooked 'Herons' generally because these guys are
                so stout and not long and leanish like all other Herons i recognise.
                That, and I didn't see the long Heron type legs while in flight or when they
                landed on the tree.
                The Night Heron's body is exactly like the birds here but what really
                clinched it for me was the recording of it's call.
                Funny I've never seen one of these birds before but they are 'night' birds
                so that's likely why.
                Thank You Thank You Guys again for all your inputs,
                Jean Terry
                Browns Valley