Where to submit CA records

  • RichardT
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 10:00 PM
      Hi All,

      My wife and I have just returned to the UK after a highly enjoyable two-week trip through southern California. The trip was very successful, locating 247 bird species, 72 of them ticks (or life birds as you call them in the US).

      We saw several birds that may be of interest to those on this list and I wanted to check where and to whom we should submit our records formally.

      These species included:

      ELF OWL
      WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER
      MURPHY'S PETREL

      I've seen photos of the Murphy's Petrel in question posted on the web (Condor Express pelagic from Santa Barbara on 29th April), but I would like to ask if anyone managed to obtain photos of the pale phase Wedge-tailed Shearwater that I pointed out to several on board later during the same trip?

      At the time I had no idea it was such a rare bird in CA and assumed the lack of response when I bellowed out its name and pointed it out to those on the lower deck, then shouted out to the upper deck there was a Wedgie behind the boat was due to it being a common occurrence. In retrospect, I can see that an 'outsider' bellowing out the name of an extreme rarity is almost inevitably going to be dismissed offhand, but I am exceedingly familiar with this species, having seen literally 1000s off Australia although relatively few of them pale phase birds, the latter of which I have mostly seen in waters off Fiji and Hawaii.

      The Elf Owl I am concerned about giving away its precise location. I managed to tape record the bird and we obtained extremely close range (10 ft) views of it in a torch beam. I would be happy to submit full details to the appropriate authority. [The same applies to making public details about where we located a pair of Spotted Owls].

      Good birding to all.

      Regards
      Richard

      Dr Richard Thomas
      Global Communications Co-ordinator
      TRAFFIC International
      E: richard.thomas@...
      W: www.traffic.org
      T: +44 (0) 1223 279068
    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9 7:32 AM
        Richard,

        In case no one has responded off-list, the authority that reviews
        records is the California Bird Records Committee,
        http://californiabirds.org/. The owl and the shearwater are current
        review species.

        Ken Burton
        Arcata