Nesting and Banded California Gulls

  • Caitlin Nilsen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2011
      Hello birders,

      The former South San Francisco Bay salt pond where 23,000 California
      Gulls nested in 2010 (pond A6) was restored to tidal action this past
      December. This year, the San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory (SFBBO)and
      the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge are
      attempting to determine if and where displaced California Gulls
      establish new colonies. We have been surveying the South San Francisco
      Bay extensively for new colonies, but over the past few years California
      Gulls have also begun nesting along the coast and in the Central Valley
      at the Davis WWTP. SFBBO and the Refuge have limited coverage of these
      areas, and we appreciate any help we can get from other researchers and
      birders. If you see possible California Gull colonies in areas where
      they have not previously nested, please either email me or call me at
      the number below. Here is a link to a flyer about the nesting gulls:
      http://www.sfbbo.org/docs/SFBBO_Report_Nesting_CAGU.pdf

      Additionally, since 2008, SFBBO and the U.S. Geological Survey have
      banded over 1000 California Gulls at A6 in order to track where their
      movements. Each bird has a metal band on the right leg as well as a 3
      digit alphanumeric band on the left leg. Please let me know if you see
      any of them. For photos of the alphanumeric bands and information on how
      and where to report them, please see the following link:
      http://www.sfbbo.org/docs/SFBBO_Report_Banded_CAGU.pdf

      I apologize for any cross-posting.

      Thank you very much for your help,

      Caitlin