Albatross, Penguins & Ted Cheeseman at Santa Monica Bay Audubon

  • Chuck & Lillian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2011
      Birders:

      You are cordially invited to the Tuesday, May 3 evening meeting of Santa Monica Bay Audubon.
      Our program is:

      Albatross and Penguins: The World Through the Eyes of a Seabird, with Ted Cheeseman
      Join naturalist and popular expedition leader, Ted Cheeseman, for a lecture exploring what it is to be a seabird in the vast unforgiving desert of the open ocean. How is it that albatross can fly 14,000 miles on a single feeding trip to bring home just one meal for a chick? How can penguins thrive and raise chicks in the world’s harshest environments, but cannot survive in mild temperate waters?

      Illustrated with images from worldwide travels with Cheesemans’ Ecology Safaris, Ted will tell stories of the new insight we have into the lives of seabirds through recent science, especially GPS-telemetry. We are only now learning about the truly magnificent lives of these penguins and albatross, just as they face sharp declines at the hands of industrial fishing and climate change. Ted frequently travels across the Southern Ocean to Antarctica and to its sub-Antarctic islands, the heart of penguin and albatross habitat. It is there that he will take you, on an entertaining and educational journey diving with penguins and soaring with albatross, the world’s greatest mariners.

      Ted’s abiding love of penguins and albatross stems from a lifetime of guiding travelers to remote seabird breeding colonies. He grew up traveling extensively with Cheesemans’ Ecology Safaris, and began studying and photographing wildlife very early. Just as Ted completed a master’s degree in tropical conservation biology at Duke University, the icy grip of the Antarctic took hold of Ted’s heart and he returned to his home state of California to lead and organize expeditions.

      These voyages take him around the globe several times each year, sharing his love for the natural world with travelers. Through voyages to Antarctica Ted has witnessed the decline of his favorite of all birds, the Wandering Albatross, inspiring him to keep abreast of the most recent bird science and to become involved with conservation efforts to protect these magnificent birds.

      Link to Mapquest Map: http://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=8-LTcBlcjh

      [Directions]: We meet at the Ken Edwards Center, 1527 4th Street (between Colorado and Broadway), Santa Monica, located on the east side of the street across from Santa Monica Place indoor mall, easily accessible from the 4th Street offramp of the westbound #10 Freeway. Parking is under the building where metered spaces are free after 6:00 p.m., and there are numerous free Visitor Parking spaces on the lower levels. We meet on the first floor – the room number will be posted.
      Meetings begin at 7:30 sharp with a little business, and then our main presentation. Refreshments will be served.

      Chuck Almdale
      North Hills, Ca.
      SMBAS Field Trip Chair