Lava Beds titmouses

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26 8:38 PM
      Can anyone comment on the current understanding of titmouse identity at
      Lava Beds? My question is prompted by a bird encountered Sunday at the
      Visitor Center that had a song identical to one of Juniper Titmouse on
      the Cornell CD and unlike any of Oak Titmouse. The bird was extremely
      responsive to (restrained) playback of Juniper and less so to that of
      Oak. We didn't know to observe bill length, so didn't.

      Thanks.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata
    • Bob Power
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26 10:33 PM
        I don't know if this is the final word or not Ken, but this is the best overview
        I've seen, from Don Roberson:
        http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/titmouse_id.html
        best regards,
        Bob Power
        Oakland, CA

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26 11:13 PM
          Around 10-15 years ago on an Altacal Audubon field trip, shortly after the
          Oak/Juniper split, we noticed the same thing at Lava Beds. We're very
          familiar with Oak Titmouse here in the Valley, and watched /heard the bird
          singing and all commented "That's not what we have at home!".

          Not sure what the anecdotal evidence is worth.

          Skip Augur
          Chico CA

          On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Ken Burton <shrikethree@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone comment on the current understanding of titmouse identity at
          > Lava Beds? My question is prompted by a bird encountered Sunday at the
          > Visitor Center that had a song identical to one of Juniper Titmouse on
          > the Cornell CD and unlike any of Oak Titmouse. The bird was extremely
          > responsive to (restrained) playback of Juniper and less so to that of
          > Oak. We didn't know to observe bill length, so didn't.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Ken Burton
          > Arcata

        • Ken Burton
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27 6:12 AM
            Thanks, Bob. I'm familiar with that article and was hoping there was
            something more recent out there.

            Ken