Whirl-wind birding trip to Southern CA, pix!

  • Daniel Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2011
      Hi all. I just returned from a quick, 5 day birding trip to SoCal with Sacramento birders Mark M. and Paul C. A great trip that started off at Big Morongo where we found a Bobcat up in a dead tree that was very accommodating for photos! Vermillion Flycatchers are nesting at Covington Park near the baseball backstop. A group of 12 or so Lawrence's Goldfinches were at that location also. We birded the Salton Sea, Anza Borrego, Kitchen Creek (SD co.), the Tijuana Estuary, Crystal Cove SP (Cal gnatcatchers!) and Bolsa Chica. We had lots of western migrants a almost every location! Cattle Call Park in Brawley hosted numerous migrants including a bunch of empid flycatchers, we Id'ed Pac Slope, Hammond's, Gray and a real yellow individual that was probably a Pac Slope but very interesting non the less! The only migrants missing were Black-throated Gray Warbler and Solitary type Vireo!

      For the trip, we had 190+ species including 2 Harris's Hawks along highway 8, exit 73, 3 Scott's Orioles, many Black-chinned Sparrows and 2 Gray Vireos at Kitchen Creek, SD Co., 3 LeConte's Thrashers at Anza Borrego, Crissal Thrasher at Carter and Fites near Brawley, Neotropical Cormorant nesting at Ramer Lake in Imperial co, Little Blue Herons at the TJ Estuary and the San Diego River from Robb field (5), many Stilt Sandpipers at the end of Bowles Rd, south Salton Sea area and many great photo opps!

      Here's a link to my "recent photos" gallery - http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/Recentphotos-3/Recent-photos/15963961_UuTjC

      The trip pix are on the first page and a half. dan

      Dan Brown,
      Sacramento,
      www.naturestoc.smugmug.com