Re: Status for Birding at Galileo Hill

  • Bob Barnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 6:36 PM
      Ed Stonick, CALBIRDS subscribers:

      At 09:49 AM 4/22/2011, Ed Stonick wrote:
      >Haven't seen any messages lately regarding Silver Saddle Resort.
      >Last I remember birding was okay, no fee, but you had to check in at
      >the office and not use their restrooms. What's the current status? Thanks!

      Coincidentally, I called Cliff at the Silver Saddle/Galileo front
      desk this morning to ask the question you ask. I just got home late
      this afternoon and just now picked up your email. This will be quick and brief.

      Continuing status ...
      * birders check in after office opens on all days
      * no large groups of birders on weekends
      * "a birder or a few birders here and there on the weekend is ok"
      * birders welcome all weekdays
      * restaurant open to the public for dinner Saturday night and
      8am-9am brunch of Sunday
      * birders stay out of hotel/motel courtyard
      * birders stay away from bungalows
      * birders - do NOT interfere with guests/members in any way

      New status ...
      * Sales have resumed and are increasing once again
      * Motel has re-opened (open to members only) and is in use (by
      sales guests and members only)

      My sense ...
      * Weekends seem to present the greatest chances for conflict
      between birders and Silver Saddle guests, members, and staff -
      especially with the increase in guest and member use over the past
      several depressed months.
      * Use utmost discretion, courtesy, and respect; especially on weekends.
      * Be conscious of birding in a way which will result in birders
      being welcome as long as current owners and staff are in charge of
      the facilities and grounds.
      * Be aware that it took JUST ONE act of lack of conscious
      awareness by ONE BIRDER to cause Silver Saddle/Galileo to close the
      grounds to ALL birders this most recent time.
      Apologies for some preachiness. But, it will not take much of a slip
      up at all by ONE birder to take away the PRIVILEGE of birding Galileo
      by ALL birders. I would hate to be that person! Don't you be that person!

      Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California