Re: Status for Birding at Galileo Hill
- Ed Stonick, CALBIRDS subscribers:
At 09:49 AM 4/22/2011, Ed Stonick wrote:
>Haven't seen any messages lately regarding Silver Saddle Resort.Coincidentally, I called Cliff at the Silver Saddle/Galileo front
>Last I remember birding was okay, no fee, but you had to check in at
>the office and not use their restrooms. What's the current status? Thanks!
desk this morning to ask the question you ask. I just got home late
this afternoon and just now picked up your email. This will be quick and brief.
Continuing status ...
* birders check in after office opens on all days
* no large groups of birders on weekends
* "a birder or a few birders here and there on the weekend is ok"
* birders welcome all weekdays
* restaurant open to the public for dinner Saturday night and
8am-9am brunch of Sunday
* birders stay out of hotel/motel courtyard
* birders stay away from bungalows
* birders - do NOT interfere with guests/members in any way
New status ...
* Sales have resumed and are increasing once again
* Motel has re-opened (open to members only) and is in use (by
sales guests and members only)
My sense ...
* Weekends seem to present the greatest chances for conflict
between birders and Silver Saddle guests, members, and staff -
especially with the increase in guest and member use over the past
several depressed months.
* Use utmost discretion, courtesy, and respect; especially on weekends.
* Be conscious of birding in a way which will result in birders
being welcome as long as current owners and staff are in charge of
the facilities and grounds.
* Be aware that it took JUST ONE act of lack of conscious
awareness by ONE BIRDER to cause Silver Saddle/Galileo to close the
grounds to ALL birders this most recent time.
Apologies for some preachiness. But, it will not take much of a slip
up at all by ONE birder to take away the PRIVILEGE of birding Galileo
by ALL birders. I would hate to be that person! Don't you be that person!
Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]