Monterey Seabird half day trips

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2011
      Ahoy Calbirders,

      Monterey Seabirds is offering half day trips this year. Our next one is
      scheduled for this Saturday, April 16 from 9am to 2pm. Cost is $50 per
      person and kids under 12 $40. The next half day trip will be on Sunday
      May 22.

      Our hope is that starting later in the morning and returning to the dock
      earlier in the afternoon will appeal to birders who just don't want to
      spend all day at sea. These trips are more affordable as the late start
      makes it possible for those in the Bay Area and Central Valley to make
      the drive in the morning at a civilized hour without having to stay the
      night in Monterey.

      Transient type Killer Whales were seen yesterday and last Sunday. The
      bumper crop of Gray Whale mother/calf pairs are finally starting to
      trickle north into central California.

      On our April, 2007 trip we had a SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS and there is an
      excellent chance for LAYSAN ALBATROSS at this time of year. Prior spring
      trips have recorded MURPHY'S PETREL, MANX SHEARWATER, TUFTED and HORNED
      PUFFINS and FRANKLIN'S GULL.

      The weather has been less than cooperative the last two trips but the
      NOAA forecast for Saturday currently reads:

      Saturday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming WNW 7 to 12 kt in the
      morning. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 4 ft and SW 1 ft. Wind waves
      around 1 ft.

      CALL 831 375-4658 to reserve or do it online at:
      http://www.montereyseabirds.com

      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
      Soquel Canyon, CA