RFI: White-faced Ibis breeding colonies

  • Robert Doster
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011
      In 2009, with the cooperation of many state and NGO partners, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife
      Service's Migratory Bird Program began the Western Colonial Waterbird Survey,
      a three-year initiative to identify information on distribution and
      abundance of colonial waterbirds in the western U.S. This survey is
      designed to determine the status of 17 species of waterbirds so as to identify
      conservation issues and refine conservation actions for these birds. This
      project also has the goal of producing of an atlas of these waterbird colonies to
      use in establishing a baseline for long-term monitoring. (For more information see:
      http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/birds/western_colonial/index.html)

      In 2011 we are again focusing a portion of this effort on nesting
      WHITE-FACED IBIS in California.  I am requesting assistance in identifying
      any active ibis nesting colonies in California this year. If you know of
      WHITE-FACED IBIS nesting colonies and have information on their location and colony
      size, I would appreciate your cooperation in sharing these data to help with
      the overall survey effort.

      Please send all inquiries and replies to rob_doster@....
      Thank you in advance for your assistance!

      Good birding,

      Rob Doster
      Chico, CA