April 30 Deepwater Pelagic - Santa Barbara - Condor Express

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2011
      Birders,

      I am pleased to announce that the Los Angeles Audubon Society has scheduled April 30th as the date of our annual spring deepwater pelagic. Last year's trip recorded 63 Cook's Petrels, and a Murphy's Petrel. Also seen were Laysan and Black-footed Albatrosses plus a host of the regular spring migrants including Leach's and Ashy Storm-petrels.

      Other April-May rarities on the Condor Express have included Hawaiian Petrel, Parakeet Auklets, and both Tufted and Horned Puffins.

      As always Capt Matt will be at the helm, and the speedy and comfortable Condor Express will be staffed with a full crew to provide hot meals in the spacious (seats 55) galley. A full contigent of outstanding seabird leaders will also be present to make sure we see all that is out there.

      Spring is a fabulous time to bird the Southern CA bight and offshore waters, and is the only time we can reasonably hope to see the emigmatic Murphy's Petrel. No other boat available to birders can take us out to the shelf and back in a 12-14 trip. We will have plenty of time out in the deepwater and will do our best to bring birds in to the boat. Even in last year's difficult weather we were able to bring Cook's Petrels close to the boat for good views.

      The cost for the trip is $195, and I expect as usual that we will sell out the trip. We depart Santa Barbara promptly at 700AM, so please arrive by 630AM to facilitate check-in and loading.

      Call the Sealanding at 888-77WHALE or 805-882-0088 to reserve your spot, and I look forward to seeing many of you onboard in April.

      until then good birding and great seabirding. Please contact me if you have any questions.

      Todd McGrath
      skua@...
      Calabasas CA and the San Juan Seamount