San Fernando Valley Condors

  • ucbsociology
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
      A suggestion about searching for condors above the east San Fernando
      Valley.

      Instead of birding from the valley floor or in the lower foothills
      as did Miko & Co., I'd advise heading up Little Tujunga Canyon Road
      to the Dillon Divide. Just before you reach the divide itself, there
      is a forest service dirt road that climbs up from the left side of
      the road. If memory serves me correctly, this is the road the the
      hang glider enthusiasts use to reach their launch site. By driving
      to the end of this road (a couple miles I think) you have panoramic
      views of the Kagel Canyon and Pacoima Wash areas, as well as the
      whole of the San Fernando Valley, especially the likely condor
      approaches to the north and west. Watch and listen for arriving
      Black-chinned Sparrows up there as well.

      For those who don't want to drive up to this lookout point, the
      eastern edge of Veterans Park in Sylmar provides the best low
      elevation views of the area in question. It might well be that the
      view for condor watching is from the ridge above Veterans Park, but
      it is a relatively steep 3 mile hike up the Wilson Canyon Motorway
      to this ridge. This road runs up the west side of the park. I don't
      remember if there are good views of Kagel Canyon from up there, but
      this ridge really overlooks the approaches to the north and east San
      Fernando Valley. The trail can be quite productive for migrants this
      time of year.

      Finally, a third option is to hike up to the same ridge that is
      above Veterans Park, but from the north side. This hike is the Los
      Pinetos Trail that starts at Walker Ranch.

      Good luck to all.

      Dustin Alcala

      Albany, California
    • Chet Ogan/PSW/USDAFS
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        All,
        Dustin's suggestion is great. That is where I saw California Condors
        in the mid 1970's. Much easier than viewing from the valley floor.

        Chet Ogan