The Gull train keeps on rolling - Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2011
      Folks

      I made a bit of time to head to the flock at Pilarcitos Creek, Half
      Moon Bay, San Mateo Co. this morning before this impending super cold storm
      with its predictions of snow at sea level came in. Boy, it was a good thing.
      I did not find any Slaty-backed candidates, but there were now two
      Black-legged Kittiwakes. An adult and the youngster found by Don Pendleton
      earlier today:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/5474342301/

      These birds seem to have no legs, nothing weirder than seeing a kittiwake on
      a flat beach.

      But the highlight came a little later when a second cycle Iceland Gull came
      into view. This bird was remarkably similar to the bird a few weeks ago, but
      aspects of the plumage lead me to believe this is a different bird, also the
      bill seems thinner on this bird. A second cycle bird in Davis from last week
      also looked like this bird, maybe they are one in the same? Three photos,
      including one in flight are here with a bit of discussion:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/5474354905/

      Also in the flock were a whopping three "Nelson's" Gulls, they hybrids
      between Glaucous and Herring. That is a high count for me of this form.

      Good birding,

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      chucao@...