Slaty-backed (young) and Kittiwake at Venice Beach

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2011
      Folks

      Some interesting gulls in a rather large flock of at least 1000 gulls at
      the mouth of Pilarcitos Creek in Half Moon Bay. Today there was at least one
      good first cycle (first year) Slaty-backed Gull there, this one had some
      dark feathers coming in on the mantle which made the identification easier
      than usual for this age class. Four photos are here:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/?saved=1

      There was another bird that I am pretty certain was another first cycle
      Slaty-backed Gull but if flew off before I could get good photos. It is
      hidden in the photo I got of it on the ground, but the dark grey feathering
      on the mantle is already apparent, as is a relatively classic bill shape,
      color and head pattern here:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/5472471249/in/photostream/

      Finally, a slam dunk easy gull to identify! A Black-legged Kittiwake was in
      the crowd

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/5473026406/in/photostream/

      Also of interest was a "Nelson's Gull" a hybrid Glaucous x Herring which I
      photographed but did not upload the photo.

      Good birding,

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      <mailto:chucao@...> chucao@...