Brown Shrike Update

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2011
      Greetings!

      The Brown Shrike in McKinleyville is still present. My wife Nancy and I (and a couple of other birders) saw it quite nicely between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. today (Sun. Feb. 20).

      It now seems to be most often seen at the south end of the south pond. The earlier directions for viewing are no longer the best. The trail along the bluff is wet, muddy, and involves some climbing and bushwhacking--not easy if you're a bit older :-) and carrying a scope.

      The best way to see the bird is to go along the beach side of the ponds. You can still view it at a respectable distance and avoid encroaching on its territory. A number of people walk their dogs along this route, so there is a bit of traffic already.

      An important note for those who may be planning a visit soon... The gates at the bottom of the Hammond Trail are marked with a sign that says the area will be closed beginning March 1 in order to protect nesting Snowy Plovers. A local (not a birder) said the area can be accessed in another way, but I was unclear on just how you would reach the ponds. He said you could start at Clam Beach and walk along the shore, but that adds at least one mile of walking each way.

      Perhaps some of the local birders may know an alternate way to reach the ponds after March 1. I can't find the info right now, but I believe the Marin County bird in 1987 stayed until early April.

      Good birding,
      Ed

      Ed Stonick
      edstonick@...
    • Peter Trueblood
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
        I'll be arriving in Arcata tomorrow (2/28) around noon. We'll be trying to see the Brown Shrike.
        Has it been spotted in the last few days?

        Peter

        925-683-6563 (cell);
        510-652-2970 (home);
        One Rockridge Place,
        Oakland, CA 94618

      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
          Today.

          > I'll be arriving in Arcata tomorrow (2/28) around noon. We'll be
          > trying to see the Brown Shrike.
          > Has it been spotted in the last few days?
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > 925-683-6563 (cell);
          > 510-652-2970 (home);
          > One Rockridge Place,
          > Oakland, CA 94618

        • fowlerope
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
            All,
            The Brown Shrike was seen today by Tom Leskiw. It was seen at the south end of the south pond. More details on the Northwest California Birdbox 707.822.LOON.

            Also, it should be mentioned that it's now possible to access this area a little bit easier from the west end of Murray Rd. in McKinleyville. Walk the Hammond trail all the way to the north end of it, walk down to the edge of the Mad River and then north, crossing Widow White Creek (boots are recommended). This can most easily be done at low tide so check the local tide listings.

            If you are eBirding it's best to keep a list for the Mad River--Murray Rd. access hotspot and then one for the McKinleyville--Vista Point Ponds once you get to the ponds.

            Thanks,

            Rob Fowler

            --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Burton" <shrikethree@...> wrote:

            > Today.

          • Rob Fowler
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
              Tom and all,
              Use my directions. Going this way should have no impact on the plover area
              as this is way further south from where they are typically found nesting. I
              guess the plovers have nested around the ponds on occasion but most nest to
              the north of the ponds, from what I gather. Going down from Vista Point I
              believe will be gated off so the Murray Rd. access might be the remaining
              option. I'm not totally sure on the access being gated off, though.

              If the shrike continues hanging out around the south end of the south pond
              then accessing the location by the Hammond Trail at the west end of Murray
              Rd. should have little possible impact on nesting Snowy Plovers. The only
              issue with this access is crossing Widow White Creek which is typically
              pretty easy to cross with boots, especially at low tide.

              Thanks,

              Rob Fowler

              --
              Rob Fowler