Re: [CALBIRDS] Evening Grosbeaks at UC Davis RECORDING

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 4:54 PM
      Al, Steve and all,

      Tom Hahn, one of the co-authors on the paper that Al cited, has been
      keeping track of the Evening Grosbeaks around Davis and I have also sent him a
      recording from Santa Clara County. All the birds involved in this year's
      irruption seems to be Type 1. As Al notes, most of the Sierra-breeding Evening
      Grosbeaks give Type 2 calls and Type 1s breed mainly in the Pacific
      Northwest and northern Rockies. The Fall issue of North American Birds will have
      an S.A. on this irruption, possibly the most significant for CA since the
      late 1980s.

      Ed Pandolfino

      In a message dated 2/20/2011 4:40:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      chucao@... writes:

      Steve

      Making a quick sonogram and comparing them to references out there, they
      sound and look like "type 1" the classic brooksi form from farther north
      (cascades - N Rockies). So the suggestion is that if all of these birds are
      of this type, they came down from farther north, not down from the Sierra.

      The paper to look up is this one:

      http://www.jstor.org/pss/1370527

      Regards

      Alvaro