Evening Grosbeaks at UC Davis RECORDING

  • tertial
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2011
      This morning I was able to manage a decent recording of one male and one female EVENING GROSBEAK at UC Davis.

      Recording (with sonogram) posted at
      http://www.xeno-canto.org/recording.php?XC=71736

      So, open discussion, from where do these birds come?

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2011
        Steve

        Making a quick sonogram and comparing them to references out there, they
        sound and look like "type 1" the classic brooksi form from farther north
        (cascades - N Rockies). So the suggestion is that if all of these birds are
        of this type, they came down from farther north, not down from the Sierra.

        The paper to look up is this one:

        http://www.jstor.org/pss/1370527

        Regards

        Alvaro

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        chucao@...

        Half Moon Bay, California

        Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

        www.fieldguides.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2011
          Al, Steve and all,

          Tom Hahn, one of the co-authors on the paper that Al cited, has been
          keeping track of the Evening Grosbeaks around Davis and I have also sent him a
          recording from Santa Clara County. All the birds involved in this year's
          irruption seems to be Type 1. As Al notes, most of the Sierra-breeding Evening
          Grosbeaks give Type 2 calls and Type 1s breed mainly in the Pacific
          Northwest and northern Rockies. The Fall issue of North American Birds will have
          an S.A. on this irruption, possibly the most significant for CA since the
          late 1980s.

          Ed Pandolfino

          In a message dated 2/20/2011 4:40:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          chucao@... writes:

[...]

          Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
          addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links