Brown Shrike

  • Steve Huckabone
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2011
      This morning Debbie and I arrived at the high dune overlooking the south pond at about 8:20. A visiting birder from Maryland had the Brown Shrike in the scope and had been watching the bird for about 45 minutes. We had satisfying looks for about 15-20 minutes before the bird disappered. About 30 minutes later after the Maryland birder departed we spotted the Brown Shrike about 2/3 the distance back to the Mad River. The bird was promintly perched and hunting. We watched it for anther 15-20 minutes before is disappeard.
      Good birding.

      Steve Huckabone
      Livermore, CA
      Alameda County
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 10, 2011
        I found the Brown Shrike this afternoon at 1:40 between the north and south ponds. I entered from the letz road parking area as per the latest update on NARBA. After descending the bluff I scanned around from near the trail and found the bird 50 or so yards off to the north. It showed nicely for 3 or 4 min.
        Matt Stenger
        Hamilton, Ohio