Black-tailed Gull at Malibu Lagoon, LA County

  • Jon Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2011

      This morning there was an adult BLACK-TAILED GULL at Malibu Lagoon. The bird was in with the many California Gulls and near the far (east) end of the beach near the lagoon outflow.

      I relocated it once after the gull flock flushed and after it flew a second time I could not find it again. Nor could Mark and Janet Scheel who searched with me for about an hour. But there are plenty of gulls to sort through here and birds are continually coming and going.

      For what it's worth it was on the sand (as opposed to the rocky areas and lagoon proper) both times I observed it.

      A mediocre but diagnostic photo was obtained-- I will post it on LA County Birds.

      Jon Fisher
      Glendale, CA