SBT: EASTERN PHOEBE

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2011
      Howdy, Birders,

      This report is to confirm the EASTERN PHOEBE in San Benito County at
      #3080 to #3100 Santa Ana Valley Road.

      After seeing the post by Al Eisner, I jumped in my car and headed for
      Santa Ana Valley Road. This was by far, the easiest bird that I have
      ever chased. It was the second bird that I saw, after house finch.
      The phoebe was closer to #3080, in ditch on the side of the road
      opposite the houses. It was perched on a dead thistle plant. It flew
      to the second line of barbed wire fencing, on the same side of the
      road. So, it is hanging in that area. I only stayed a few minutes. It
      is a classic Eastern Phoebe. There is a mile marker at the exact
      spot: 3.06.

      This is the sixth known Eastern Phoebe record for San Benito County.
      Amazingly, this bird is precisely where I heard, but did not see, an
      Eastern Phoebe about ten years ago.

      Elsewhere in the county: I would like to clear up the location of the
      Bear Valley Fire Station pond. It is south of Paicines Reservoir, and
      not south of Pinnacles. The pond is full with water. American Wigeon
      have been hanging out there. The large flock of blackbirds has been
      hanging around, as well. This is a known past breeding location for
      Tricolored Blackbirds. So, if you are thinking of chasing the Yellow-
      headed Blackbirds (2) which I reported a few days ago, the chances
      are good for finding them (in my opinion).

      Many thanks to Al Eisner and Alvaro Jaramillo for relaying the
      reported phoebe. Please email me, if you see any of these birds, or
      other birds in San Benito County.

      San Benito County Birding,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      SVALBARD: High Arctic Seabirds & Polar Bears, Walrus: 8-18 July &
      18-28 July, 2012