Say's Phoebe, Brown Shrike, and others (Humboldt)

  • Gabriel Mapel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2011
      California Birders,

      I'm visiting from Virginia for a few days and have enjoyed the birds of Humboldt County near Arcata/McKinnleyville. Of course I went to look for the Brown Shrike and I got good looks of the bird on the 25th (of Jan.). The bird was found on the east side of the south pond around noonish.

      Over the course of the 25th, 26th, and 27th I have done birding in and around Humboldt County in areas including the Arcata Marsh, Arcata Dunes (don't know official name), and Patrick's Point State Park. Notable birds with locations seen:

      Osprey (Redwood National and State Parks information center)
      Rough-legged Hawk (Arcata Marsh)
      Merlin (101 median between airport road and Vista Point)
      Peregrine Falcon - 4 (Brown Shrike location, Vista Point Overlook Parking Area area, Arcata Dunes, Patrick's Point State Park)
      SAY'S PHOEBE (Road through Arcata Bottoms by Arcata Slough)
      BROWN SHRIKE (Vista Point south pond east side)
      Orange-crowned Warbler (Arcata Marsh near old railroad tracks)
      Palm Warbler (same as Orange-crowned location)

      Good birding.

      Gabriel Mapel
      New Hope, Va