Whooper Swan, San joaquin Co.

  • Jim Rowoth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2011
      All,

      I received this late yesterday from David Yee, who is unable to post directly to listserves. I didn't see the notice till this a.m., hence the tardiness of this notice:

      "Late on the afternoon of Sunday, Jan 9, there was an adult WHOOPER SWAN among about 2,000 Tundra Swans along 8 Mile Rd west of Stockton, San Joaquin County. The swan flock was on King Island, about 3 miles west of I-5 on the north side of the road. The flock was about 250 meters off the road in a flooded corn field, so a scope was necessary. The Whooper didn't appear all that much larger than the Tundras, but the bill and head features were good for Whooper compared to the "Bewick's" form of Tundra, including the yellow patch that covered more than half of the basal portion of the bill with the "wedge" extending on both sides of the bill toward the tip. There also happened to be a Bewick's Swan present that allowed for good comparisons."

      He also mentioned there is a juv Glaucous-winged Gull in the vicinity, a rarity locally.

      And I have to go to work this a.m.!

      Jim Rowoth
      Stockton