WHOOPER SWAN, KING ISLAND, SJ CO 1/9/11

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2011
      Posting for David Yee:

      Late on the afternoon of Sunday, Jan 9, there was an adult Whooper Swan among about 2,000 Tundra Swans along 8 Mile Rd west of Stockton, San Joaquin County. The swan flock was on King Island, about 3 miles west of I-5 on the north side of the road. The flock was about 250 meters off the road in a flooded corn field, so a scope was necessary. The Whooper didn't appear all that much larger than the Tundra's, but the bill and head features were good for Whooper compared to the "Bewick's" form of Tundra, including the yellow patch that covered more than half of the basal portion of the bill with the "wedge" extending on both sides of the bill toward the tip. There also happened to be a Bewick's Swan present that allowed for good comparisons.

      David Yee
      Galt, CA

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2011
        I looked for the Whooper and Bewick’s swans this afternoon for about 1 ½ hr.
        I could relocate them. I was only able to look through about half of the
        estimated 6, 000 swans in the field. The other half were just too far away.
        The only gulls present were 400 Ring-billeds, 2 Californias and 1 Mew.

        John Sterling

        VVVVVVVVVV

        26 Palm Ave

        Woodland, CA 95695

        cell 530 908-3836

        jsterling@...

        Birding Classes, photos etc www.sterlingbirds.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2011
          Yes, indeed, I could NOT relocate them…..sorry for that mistake.

          John Sterling

          VVVVVVVVVV

          26 Palm Ave

          Woodland, CA 95695

          cell 530 908-3836

          jsterling@...

          Birding Classes, photos etc www.sterlingbirds.com

          Do you perhaps mean that you could NOT locate them???
          Tom

          Thomas Miko (Mi'ko' Tama's)

          http://www.radioactivebirdwatcher.blogspot.com

          home: (909) 445-1456

          Fortem posce animum mortis terrore carentem.

          Jan 11, 2011 05:54:53 PM, jsterling@... <mailto:jsterling%40wavecable.com> wrote:

[...]

          Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
          Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

          Yahoo! Groups Links