Re: [CALBIRDS] Brown Shrike continues below the Highway 101 Vista Point in McKinleyville, CA

  • tsuru8@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
      Gary,

      I would like to thank you very much for the details on getting to this bird.

      Countless others have said they "saw" the bird and saw it "singing" without all the details of WHERE you actually go to see it, just between the "north and south ponds"! Like they got the bird and want to boast of their sighting but little regard in helping anyone else. I find this to be so common. How often have we driven many hours/miles to finally get to the location and then realize Where Exactly (simple details like you provided) to actually find the Spot!

      Hopefully others will put more effort into the true needed details and skip all the novel writing abt nonsense and useless info that doesn't Help others find the BIRD whatsoever.

      And, this applies to all rare birds not just this Shrike.

      So again, thank you very much for being someone who cared and not just posted another "I saw the bird, it's still there" email.

      Monte Taylor
      Orange County, CA

      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
        Monte,

        Several of us have posted detailed directions to this bird and it has
        not moved appreciably. All one has to do is look at the archives to see
        these directions; it doesn't seem necessary for every observer to take
        up server space by repeating them, nor does it seem necessary to
        belittle others' posts publicly (which I suppose I am doing here,
        perhaps to spare you some inevitable private attacks). eBird also is an
        excellent source of pretty precise location information.

        Play nice.

        Ken Burton
        Arcata

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
          Hi Ken,

          Thx but I have followed all the posts but did not see this detail like what was posted honestly.

          Many have spoken abt ponds but reading his post tells me that if I were to drive the trip frm so cal I would get there then have to find these ponds. It was an excellent help. As for server space, text messages are miniscule believe me, I'm an IT consultant and no very well abt servers and disk space.

          But I have not recalled one single post that gave this good amt of info and frankly I find it frustrating how on so mant rare bird posts little is provided to help with enough details such as this post had and was just trying to encourage folks to consider others in providing that help in a more detailed manner.

          I did not use names so am sorry if anyone personally feels I was belittling them.

          Monte Taylor

          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          > I would like to thank you very much for the details on getting to this
          > bird.
          >
          > Countless others have said they "saw" the bird and saw it "singing"
          > without all the details of WHERE you actually go to see it, just
          > between the "north and south ponds"! Like they got the bird and want
          > to boast of their sighting but little regard in helping anyone else.
          > I find this to be so common. How often have we driven many
          > hours/miles to finally get to the location and then realize Where
          > Exactly (simple details like you provided) to actually find the Spot!
          >
          > Hopefully others will put more effort into the true needed details and
          > skip all the novel writing abt nonsense and useless info that doesn't
          > Help others find the BIRD whatsoever.
          >
          > And, this applies to all rare birds not just this Shrike.
          >
          > So again, thank you very much for being someone who cared and not just
          > posted another "I saw the bird, it's still there" email.
          >
          > Monte Taylor
          > Orange County, CA
          >

          > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          Yahoo! Groups Links