Brown Shrike continues below the Highway 101 Vista Point in McKinleyville, CA

  • newtster24
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
      Dear CalBirders: The brown shrike provided excellent views for 8
      birders (from Roseburg, OR: Chico, CA; Long Beach, CA) today, Thursday,
      01-06-11, from 1230-1330 at the usual spot between the north and south
      ponds. To get to this area begin by parking at the Highway 101 Vista
      Point overlook. If you're heading northbound on Highway 101 you'll need
      to drive past the Vista Point overlook about a mile and take the Central
      Avenue/Clam Beach County park offramp, go under the freeway, then drive
      south on Highway 101 to the Vista Point overlook offramp. Walk through
      a hole in the fence at the far south end of the parking lot to
      immediately access the Hammond Trail. Proceed to your right and walk
      downhill (north) on the Hammond Trail until you reach the bottom of the
      trail where there is a large chain link fence. Make a sharp left and
      proceed south on the well used trail along the base of the bluff. After
      about 300 yards, start looking to the west between the 2 ponds as soon
      as you cross a small seep. Another good reference point is a single
      round, large cypress tree by itself located directly above you on the
      western edge of the bluff. The brown shrike worked an area of about 100
      yards x 50 yards and was actively foraging in full sun, no wind and temp
      of 52 degrees. It was an absolutely gorgeous day to see this incredible
      bird.

      When I left at 1330, two birders remained and the bird was still
      present.

      Good birding.

      Gary Stacey,

      Redding, CA
    • tsuru8@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
        Gary,

        I would like to thank you very much for the details on getting to this bird.

        Countless others have said they "saw" the bird and saw it "singing" without all the details of WHERE you actually go to see it, just between the "north and south ponds"! Like they got the bird and want to boast of their sighting but little regard in helping anyone else. I find this to be so common. How often have we driven many hours/miles to finally get to the location and then realize Where Exactly (simple details like you provided) to actually find the Spot!

        Hopefully others will put more effort into the true needed details and skip all the novel writing abt nonsense and useless info that doesn't Help others find the BIRD whatsoever.

        And, this applies to all rare birds not just this Shrike.

        So again, thank you very much for being someone who cared and not just posted another "I saw the bird, it's still there" email.

        Monte Taylor
        Orange County, CA

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
          Monte,

          Several of us have posted detailed directions to this bird and it has
          not moved appreciably. All one has to do is look at the archives to see
          these directions; it doesn't seem necessary for every observer to take
          up server space by repeating them, nor does it seem necessary to
          belittle others' posts publicly (which I suppose I am doing here,
          perhaps to spare you some inevitable private attacks). eBird also is an
          excellent source of pretty precise location information.

          Play nice.

          Ken Burton
          Arcata

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
            Hi Ken,

            Thx but I have followed all the posts but did not see this detail like what was posted honestly.

            Many have spoken abt ponds but reading his post tells me that if I were to drive the trip frm so cal I would get there then have to find these ponds. It was an excellent help. As for server space, text messages are miniscule believe me, I'm an IT consultant and no very well abt servers and disk space.

            But I have not recalled one single post that gave this good amt of info and frankly I find it frustrating how on so mant rare bird posts little is provided to help with enough details such as this post had and was just trying to encourage folks to consider others in providing that help in a more detailed manner.

            I did not use names so am sorry if anyone personally feels I was belittling them.

            Monte Taylor