Woodfords CBC was conducted on Tuesday, 1-4-11

  • naturestoc
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hi All.

      The Woodfords CBC was conducted on Tuesday, 1-4-11. This count circle is in Alpine county, centered near the intersection of highway 88 and 89.

      Due to the rescheduling for a week day and the cold, we had lows in almost all categories! Only 16 participants braved the weather (which isn't bad considering!). We recorded a low temp of minus 9 degrees F at Sorensens Resort. Access to some areas was restricted by snow. Open fields and open water was limited. Lows were recorded in most species. We didn't record any grebes, gulls, dippers, warblers or blackbirds for a LOW 59 species total!

      But, we had 4 Bald Eagles, 9 Golden Eagles, 6 Slate-colored Juncos and 59 Cassin's Finches! Our best finds were 2 Northern Pygmy Owls, one heard only at Grover Hot Springs and another in downtown Markleyville. A flock of 80 Pinyon jays was also in downtown Markleyville visiting feeders (spoon-fed to Mark M. as a lifer)! A first for the count (as far as I can tell) was 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl (heard only) by Al DeMartini in the early AM up near Grover Hot Springs! . Thanks again to all the participants, dan

      Dan Brown,
      Sacramento.
      www.naturestoc.smugmug.com