Taiga Bean Goose (Imperial County) continues

  • Chet ogan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
      Birders:
      Between 4:30 pm and 5:15 pm today the Taiga Bean Goose was grazing with a group
      of 7 White-fronted Geese west of two baled hay stacks about 1/4 mile north of
      the intersection of Bannister and Vendel Road leading into the No 1 Unit of
      Sonny Bono NWR. 200 meters east of the haystacks is a freshly flooded pond,
      part of a new hunt club. A large flock of Snow Geese, about 800 geese, was
      grazing west of this pond. The group of White-fronted Geese with the Taiga Bean
      Goose was between the hay stack and the pond.

      Chet Ogan
      Eureka, CA
      When we try to pick out anything by itself,
      we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
      -John Muir

      The first precaution of intelligent ecological tinkering is to keep every cog
      and wheel.
      -Aldo Leopold

      A system of conservation based solely on economic self-interest is hopelessly
      lopsided.
      -Aldo Leopold

      Chet Ogan
      chet_ogan@...
      707-442-9353

    • David Blue
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        Thanks, Chet for your excellent directions.

        Between 4 and 4:30 PM today (Friday, the 7th) the Taiga Bean Goose was still
        present south of the Salton Sea on Vendel Road north of Bannister Road. It
        was at the first large pond on the right (east) with a group of eight
        Greater White-fronted Geese. There is a large stack of hay on the east side
        of the road and it was southeast of there in front of the right side of the
        pond, and behind all the Snow Geese. It was near some farm equipment.