Brown Shrike

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4 5:29 PM
      Hi All: I found the Brown Shrike yesterday in the previously found area. I had GREAT looks at the bird out in open in bright sunlight between 1:15 and 1:45 PM. He was located south of the north pond.

      Gary Grenfell
      Granite Bay, CA
    • Ann Ruffer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 5 1:40 PM
        Hello,

        Would someone be so kind as to send me specific directions to the Brown Shrike ‘hotspot’?

        I have been scrolling through the posted messages trying to find them without any luck. I live in Oakland, a 300-mile haul and I’d like it to be a success.

        Thanks very much!

        Ann
        aruffer@...

      • fowlerope
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18 4:57 PM
          Ann,
          Look at my post on this listserv from 11 Jan. Directions are STILL the same.

          The bird was reported today to the Northwestern California Birdbox 707.822.LOON.

          Rob Fowler

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Ann Ruffer <aruffer@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Would someone be so kind as to send me specific directions to the Brown Shrike ‘hotspot’?
          >
          > I have been scrolling through the posted messages trying to find them without any luck. I live in Oakland, a 300-mile haul and I’d like it to be a success.
          >
          > Thanks very much!
          >
          > Ann
          > aruffer@...

        • janfreedom54
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
            Confirmed Brown Shrike at 10:39am using scope from cliff slide. The bird was vocalizing and pumping tail probably in distress from the photographer who was getting close.

            J. Wilson
            Long Beach, CA
          • Steve Huckabone
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2011
              This morning Debbie and I arrived at the high dune overlooking the south pond at about 8:20. A visiting birder from Maryland had the Brown Shrike in the scope and had been watching the bird for about 45 minutes. We had satisfying looks for about 15-20 minutes before the bird disappered. About 30 minutes later after the Maryland birder departed we spotted the Brown Shrike about 2/3 the distance back to the Mad River. The bird was promintly perched and hunting. We watched it for anther 15-20 minutes before is disappeard.
              Good birding.

              Steve Huckabone
              Livermore, CA
              Alameda County
            • Matt
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2011
                I found the Brown Shrike this afternoon at 1:40 between the north and south ponds. I entered from the letz road parking area as per the latest update on NARBA. After descending the bluff I scanned around from near the trail and found the bird 50 or so yards off to the north. It showed nicely for 3 or 4 min.
                Matt Stenger
                Hamilton, Ohio
              • Chet Ogan
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 18, 2015
                  Birders
                  I saw the shrike this morning in the reddish willows  above and left of the squarish field described several times. This was about 11:10 this morning. Initially it was off the right end of an old road heading toward the house. As I was refocusing it flew downslope and I lost it.

                  Chet Ogan
                  Eureka,  CA

                  Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
                • Joseph Morlan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 19, 2015
                    The BROWN SHRIKE was still present this afternoon at the mouth of Alder
                    Creek. It was mostly on the hillside across the creek just west of the
                    overlook. Photos at...

                    http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/BrownShrikeP1220868.htm
                    --
                    Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
                  • Robert William Hewitt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 24, 2015

                      Brown Shrike was re-located today 24th, across creek Steve Brown from Colorado had just re-located it in brown bush above the fence line . For me it was Plan A all the way!

                      Rob