Barstow and FT Irwin

  • Randel Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29 4:21 PM
      I spent Wednesday - Friday in Barstow, Ft. Irwin, and Yermo on business.
      Best bird was a WESTERN TANAGER at the Mountain View Memorial Park in
      Barstow, where I also found that there is a regular morning visit from a
      coopers hawk that "showers" in the sprinklers (and is not especially shy - I
      was parked only 25' from it), good numbers of horned larks, killdeer, and
      brewers blackbirds, black chinned hummingbirds, and I glimpsed what might
      have been a pair of mountain chickadees.

      In the Mohave River bed on the east side of Barstow I found large numbers of
      gambels quail, and I was told by a resident that chukar can be found there
      as well. There is a small park, the park farthest east on the Barstow map,
      and there was also a loggerhead shrike in the basin SE of the park.

      On FT Irwin I found sage sparrows, and on FT Irwin Road just about 5 miles
      north of Barstow a night hawk flew over. Also in Barstow near the railroad
      cut on N. 1st Street west of town, a prairie falcon flew over, harrassed by
      a mockingbird.

      At Yermo, there is a grassy wooded area just to the right as you enter the
      USMC Annex (rail site), and there I found a western kingbird and a kestrel.

      I will be back in October, hopefully I will have time to look for chukars on
      that trip.

      Randy Rogers
      Columbus, OH